This week I downloaded the Ubuntu 64-bit ARM beta image to try out (and so I could test building oacapture against the 64-bit ARM environment). It booted neatly, but I got a bit stuck when I tried to install the various development packages that I needed to do my build.
The first problem was that APT couldn’t find the
linux-libc-dev package to install. I hadn’t required this, but it was a dependency for the other development packages I wanted. Eventually I thought to look on the repository servers and whilst I couldn’t find the version APT was trying to install, I did find one for the same kernel with a very similar version number, so I did:
# wget http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/l/linux/linux-libc-dev_4.15.0-43.46_arm64.deb
# dpkg -i linux-libc-dev_4.15.0-43.46_arm64.deb
There were no errors on the installation, so we’ll see what happens when I start using it.
The second problem was very similar, but this time the package that couldn’t be found was
Again I found a similar version in the repository, just a couple of point releases higher. To get this to install however, I also needed some of the avahi packages:
# apt-get install libavahi-client3 libavahi-common3 libavahi-common-data
# wget http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/c/cups/libcups2_2.2.7-1ubuntu2.2_arm64.deb
# dpkg -i libcups2_2.2.7-1ubuntu2.2_arm64.deb
Again there were no errors once everything was installed and I managed to download and install all the other packages I required without a problem.
I’m assuming this is just a minor error with the package lists for the beta release and will eventually be corrected, but it’s allowed me to make progress with my own code without having to try the 64-bit ARM ISO that looks to require far more work to get into a usable state.