Building an observatory. Construction #6

During this week I made up all the shuttering for the three pier foundations and put it in place, backfilling around the outside to support it when it was filled with concrete. I also made up jigs to hold the threaded rods that will be used to bolt down the pier blocks.

Saturday was spent pouring the concrete — about a tonne of it I think. Once poured I set the rods in position and went for a well-earned rest.

On Sunday I didn’t have much time, but managed to lift off the wooden jigs, then get all of the outer rails screwed together and started to wrap the parts resting on the pads with some DPC material to prevent damp transferring from the concrete to the timber (or splashing up onto it).

This entry was posted in Astronomy, Observatory, Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *