No dig diary, 16th March 2021

Nine days after sowing almost all of the tomato seeds I sowed (on 7th March) have germinated and we need the space in the propagator, so I’ve moved them to the greenhouse.

I also opened up the first of my two bins of compost from last year and started spreading it on the beds that until recently contained carrots and parsnips. The bins have been open to the elements all winter and lifting the compost out was heavy work because it was so wet. I think the experience is pushing me in the direction of putting a roof on the bins. I can always add a gutter routed into a tank that stores water so I have it available to pour on the heaps if they dry out too much. A roof will probably also help to keep sycamore seeds from the surrounding trees out of the compost.

This entry was posted in Smallholding, Veg plot and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *