Disaster! Or perhaps even “Dis-Aster!” Around late April when I was weeding around the parsnips I found a sunflower seedling. I rather like sunflowers, so I decided to leave it to grow. And grow it did. And grow. And grow. And then grow a bit more. Today however I found that it had collapsed, snapped off at the base, perhaps due to our recent poor weather 🙁
I could at least measure it having retrieved it from the parsnips. It reached 3.4m tall — less than a (my) hands span short of double my height! The stalk is 50mm in diameter. If the seeds are well enough developed on the flower heads then I’ll leave them for the birds before it gets shredded for compost.